Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My Rock.

I could have easily written about this in Hadley's birth story but I decided that it was so important to me and was such a huge part of Hadley coming into this world, that it needed a whole post itself.

My husband.

I honestly could not have gone through childbirth without him.

When we read about the Bradley Method (the birth method we had originally planned) I was worried. A lot of this method involved  husband support. Josh is very supportive. He always has been there rooting me on. But I was worried that once we got to the childbirth part he would freak out a little. He went into the birth not even wanting to cut the cord! But he came out a completely different person.

If you read about Hadley's birth story, you know that our "plan" of the Bradley Method went out the window...and that's okay. From the moment I woke Josh up and told him I thought, "today was the day" he was there for me 110%. During the laboring process he did everything I asked him to do along with asking me questions about what I needed. He rubbed my back, got me ice chips, and held my hand during every contraction. He supported me through my tears of getting an epidural because that was something we agreed that we didn't want to do but didn't rule it out by any means.


He went in to the hospital not wanting to see a thing and left being completely educated. I even joked with him during labor that he never knew he would be going to medical school that day. My nurse, who was wonderful, put him to work. By the time she was delivered he knew where just about everything was located in the delivery room. I don't want to go into too much detail but the poor guy saw way more than he ever wanted and even watched the birth of his daughter. I'm so proud of him and could not have gone through it all without his support. I'm also so thankful he decided to cut the cord. After what he went through with me, that was nothing!

Since we've been home, he has been a blessing. I was not allowed to use the stairs more than twice a day for two weeks. This was very difficult because we don't have a bathroom on the first floor (weird I know, but we've gotten use to it). Every morning he would bring up breakfast while I nursed Hadley. On the days he had to go to work, he would pack me a lunch so I didn't have to worry about using the steps alone. He made sure someone came over to check on me the days he had to work late. He always had the house picked up, dusted, and vacuumed. He is awesome at laundry! He did everything I couldn't do.

He has taken the "dad" role on and has turned around as a husband. Not that he wasn't a good husband before (because he was), to me he seems to see things differently. I thank him daily for his help and I try to tell him as often as I can how thankful I am for him.

He was my rock through all of this. And almost three weeks after being home, he still is. I'm so thankful to call Josh my husband but I'm even more thankful that he is Hadley's dad.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to your husband! That's amazing that you have such a strong man to lean on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, it sounds like he's been such a great husband and father!

    ReplyDelete