Monday, September 9, 2013

Hadley's Birth Story Part 1

I had ever intention of writing this pretty quickly after we came home however a lot of things happened that I would have never imagined.

***WARNING: I promise not to go into details but there are some things I will talk about in here that are more personal and that I may not normally share. However, after you've had a baby modesty is out the window. At least in my situation it totally was! There is definitely still a line that will not be crossed but I also want to remember her birth in all its glory. You were warned.***


My mom's birthday was Saturday, August 24th. My parents had to move my sister into the dorms that day. So basically I was not allowed to have the baby then. I felt great that day. I told Josh I did not want to go to work this week because I was getting tired but I just had to keep pushing through. I even joked with him that knowing my luck, I'll be there the next two weeks.

I was wrong!

I woke up Sunday around 3 am with contractions. I knew they were not BH because they felt completely different. But they didn't hurt that bad and I figured they would go away so I drank a bunch of water and tried going  back to sleep. I would doze off and on for the next few hours. Somewhere between 3 am and 8 am I decided to time the contractions. I wasn't sleeping well and they just seemed to be pretty steady. At first they started about 6 minutes apart. I was kind of surprised because I thought they would be much farther than that. They also came very regular. Every once in a while I'd have one that was 4 minutes apart from the others.

Around 8 am I decided I was going to shower...you know, just in case. I was up and thought that maybe it would help stop them or tell me if I was really in labor. After my shower they were coming steadily at 4 minutes apart and were growing more intensely. I had a feeling that we might be going to the hospital that day so I decided to wake J up. I explained we had plenty of time but I thought he might want to get a few more things crossed off his list.

While I finished getting reading, doing my hair, putting on make-up, and packing last minute items (just in case), J mowed, cleaned the garage, and cleaned out his car. I kept timing the contractions and around 10 am realized they were much more intense and coming about 3 minutes apart. That's when I started to panic. I called the doctor on call and he told me to wait it out as long as possible. He said give it another few hours and walk. I knew for sure today was the day.

J came in and showered and got all of his things ready to go. Meanwhile I vacuumed the downstairs, cleaned the kitchen, and quickly mopped the floor. Might as well move around and get the baby going! Around 11 am we were all ready to go. The bags were in the car and my contractions were coming 2-3 minutes apart. I wasn't in horrible pain by any means. In fact, I thought this whole process was going to be pretty easy if the pain continued like it was (but I knew it would be much worse later).

We were both starving when we started out to the hospital and I knew they wouldn't let me eat when I got there. So we stopped at Panera! I love their breakfast sandwiches and decided we would have a little breakfast treat!

A little after noon we arrived in the hospital and all of our "plans" changed.

Check out part 2 tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I love birth stories! Can't wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to leave us in suspense!! ;) haha!! You are totally right...modesty is out the window after you've had a baby! I love hearing other's birth stories as well!! Can't wait for the rest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I could have made it that long at home!

    ReplyDelete