Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Favorite Halloween Costumes

One of the first blogs I started to read {and one of my favorites} is Whitney over at The Glamorous Life of a Housewife.  Talk about impeccable taste. She and her mom can come decorate my house anytime!

Yesterday, Whitney posted all about her favorite costumes. I thought it was such a good idea and I had to follow along. So thank you Whitney for this great idea!!

I wish I had pictures to share with you but I'm pretty sure they're packed up in my parent's basement!

  • {Snow White} My mom made my costume herself that year, which was a huge feat for her (she's not the craftiest but she sure can throw a party)! I wore a short black wig with a red ribbon in my hair. I was obsessed with Snow White to say the least. I thought she was the prettiest princess in all of Disney, however I was too afraid to watch the movie. Totally makes sense. After Halloween, the costume was retired to the basement playroom where it was worn for years until it started to fall apart and it had seen better days.
  • {Minnie Mouse} This was probably one of the easiest costumes and it was one of my favorites. We had visited Disney over summer break and came home with the big Minnie gloves and Minnie ears. My mom purchased some polka-dot fabric, which I tied as a skirt on the side, and I was good to go!
  • {Sleepover Party} In middle school, at just about the age where we were too old for trick-or-treating, a few of my friends and I decided to all wear our pajamas and go as a sleepover party! We had curlers in our hair and used pillow cases to collect our candy. It was such a blast and I have to admit we were pretty creative as well.
  • {Tooth Fairy} This idea actually started out as a joke. I needed a costume for a party in high school and had nothing in mind. A friend of mine had a beautiful but simple light pink dress she wore for prom. I loved it and really wanted to wear it. So I busted out some old fairy wings I had from an old angel costume, work a tiara, held a wand, and I was the Tooth Fairy. Definitely one of the most unique costumes I've had.

I wish I could take credit for the next few costumes but I definitely can't. My dad is super artistic and creative. I did not get any of that from him. Here are my favorite costumes he wore:

  • {Gumby} Yep, you read that correctly. My dad was Gumby for Halloween once and it was awesome. No other explanation needed.
  • {Mr. Peanut} This costume was thebomb.com. He actually made this costume himself. I'm pretty sure it was out of cardboard. He also wore the tights, top hat, and eye glass. It was pretty cool. I'm pretty sure that he won an award for this costume.
  • {Grapes} Back in the early/mid 90s, my dad thought it would be hysterical to go as the Fruit of the Loom grapes. Little did we know, this costume is a lot more popular now. He wore a purple sweat outfit (I have not the slightest clue where he bought a men's purple sweat outfit) then he blew up a ton of balloons and safety-pinned them all over his body. It was quite the scene trying to get him in the car! I'm pretty sure he won an award for this costume as well.

1 comment:

  1. You should totally dig up the pictures, I would love to see! That's awesome your dad was Gumby!!

    ReplyDelete