Tuesday, March 26, 2013

J and his girl

We have this blog mainly to document what is going on in our lives. Up until now it has been pretty bland. Our lives have consisted of our sweet furbabies and grad school. But now that I'm done with  school and J is almost done with school and there is a baby on the way, our lives have started to shine a little. Which has been quite fun!

Last week I announced that we are expecting a little girl! I also wanted to post about the short conversation I had with J later in the day. This is definitely more of a meaningful conversation between him and I but it's something that I never want to forget, which is why I'm posting about it. Honestly, I don't think I will ever be able to forget it. At the end of the year, when I will hopefully be able to make a blog post book, I will be able to go back and remember the excitement we had while waiting for our baby.

After we were told it was a girl I was ecstatic! But I was kind of worried about J. I knew we would both be happy with either one, but for him I wanted to have a boy because I knew how important it was for J to play football with him in the back yard or teaching him how to throw a baseball. But I'm not loosing this dream. One day it will happen. I know he will be a great girl dad because he has such a soft heart and a lot of patience with little kids. He's definitely the type to dress up and play tea party. No matter what it was, we both said going into the ultrasound we would be thrilled and we just wanted a healthy baby.

Later that evening J went out to get his haircut and run a few errands. I told him to give me a call if he had time or had to wait. A few hours after he left, the phone rang. We were talking about our wonderful day and I thanked him for making it so special for me. Then he told me the sweetest thing I had ever heard. He explained to me that as he was driving in his car he looked at the passenger seat beside him. He imagined a little girl sitting there in her dress and ruffled socks kicking her legs back and forth. He imaged taking her to one of my favorite tea rooms and having a daddy/daughter date. Just the two of them.

Melt. My. Heart.

At that moment I no longer worried about J being somewhat bummed it was a girl. He's not the type that gets excited. There's never been any jumping up and down or "wahoo-ing" from him {unless OSU wins} but usually smiles and comments. He doesn't even like to give me high-fives but will if I get super excited. But I didn't need that reassurance. What he told me, about imagining what life was going to be like with he and his daughter, was enough.

With lots of tears, I told him that was the sweetest thing I could have ever heard him say.

I can't wait to see that day.

Now that our family knows he has been telling everyone, helping me pick out clothes, bedroom decor, you name it. The excitement is definitely showing!

4 comments:

  1. That's So Sweet!
    Girls are made to be Daddy's Little girl...from the day he meets his little princess, he won't know how to be tough again until she starts talking about boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so very sweet! Little girls with their daddies melt my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet! I love this memory!

    ReplyDelete