Monday, June 3, 2013

Menu Monday: Pickle Slaw

Last week we celebrated J's 30th birthday, which was May 31st. I decided to go with a pretty easy menu that was yummy for summer time. I actually let him pick out the main part of the meal (sandwiches) then I added the rest. Oh, he also request Stouffer's Mac & Cheese. I was excited to make homemade but I can't argue with the birthday boy!

I love a good coleslaw, especially with BBQ. A coworker gave me a delicious recipe for a pickle slaw. It's similar to regular slaw but much different at the same time. It's so good! But if you don't like pickles then you will not like this.

Looks similar, right?

One key ingredient in this recipe is the pickles. You must use Farmers Garden by Vlasic. They are delicious! With the mixture of red peppers. carrots, and onion in the jar it gives them a great flavor. I think they're a little crunchier too!

Here is how you make it:

1 bag of of slaw (you can make it homemade but the bag is easier)
1/2 cup mayo
fresh dill to taste (start with 1/4 c.)
Pickles to taste (I started with 4)
Pickle juice (1/2 cup but I added more)
salt and pepper

Basically this slaw is going to depend on your taste. If you want it to have a little more liquid, add more pickle juice. If you like the dill flavor, add more! I actually like to make it then let it sit overnight and let all the ingredients blend together. It's something a little different and was a big hit!


I gave J a couple of options for the main part of dinner. We talked about burgers and bbq but we get that at every picnic or summer party (although I can never turn down bbq). When he asked me for other options I went straight to my favorite blog--Pioneer Woman. We love everything she makes!

I found these Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches and knew that J would love them (he did). I also liked that I could change up the recipe with different meats, cheeses, and sauces.

I should have warmed it before I took the pic!

Mini Hot Ham Sandwiches
PW's look much better


These sandwiches were all made the morning of, then I just popped them into the oven about 20 minutes before it was time to eat and wallah! I made half roast beef and half ham. I did make two with Cheez-whiz, which J's brother enjoyed! They were huge sandwiches and we even had extra. I loved that they were hot (so I could eat them), gooie, and delicious!

Happy Menu Monday and don't forget to link up!

No comments:

Post a Comment