Monday, July 15, 2013

Menu Monday

Here are our dinners from last week!



Shredded Chicken Sandwiches


This was a major fail. My grandma makes the best shredded chicken and I tried to make them like her but it didn't work out. I did end up calling her after I made them and I know what I did wrong. I'll try again in a few weeks and then give you the recipe!




J's sandwich

My sandwich--ailoi underneath

The real Outback sandwich--Mine were pretty darn close!

These were delicious!! The only thing I would do differently is to get one filet instead of the kind of steak I bought. The meat was okay but in the rare occurrence we actually eat steak (which is never) I might as well buy the best. The aioli and au jus was delicious!! {I eat most of my sandwiches open faced}

Along with the sandwiches I made homemade skillet focaccia bread. I know...call me Martha. It totally made the sandwich. I thought it was a little harder than normal focaccia bread but it was perfect to dunk in the au jus.

As for the au jus, you can find the recipe here, the same place as the sandwich recipe. However, I didn't have french onion soup. So I had to change the recipe a bit but it was still amazing:

1 can beef broth
1 can water
1 packet of dry onion soup



The third night we were supposed to have fancy grilled cheese but instead we had pizza. It just sounded amazing--and it was.

On Thursday Josh worked late and I had a left over steak sandwich...yummy!!


So my freezer meal of the week didn't start off too well. I had decided to make Pioneer Woman's lasagna. Yum. So I took all my stuff over to my parents to make it there. Why? Well 1) I needed cheese from the farmer's market which is right down the street and 2) I promised my mom I'd make her a tray of it. The fact that they have a huge kitchen is a bonus too. I ended up making 4 half trays of lasagna. YAY! That gives us four big servings which is plenty for J and I and it also gives us left overs.

I brought most of the stuff I needed for the lasagna including the cooking "tools". I needed a can opener to open the tomatoes so after searching I finally found one. Well, not all can openers are the same and I could not figure out the one she had. I kept making all these dents in the can but nothing would open it! Finally I gave up.


But I got it open!! 

Thankfully I found a normal can opener a short while later and the rest of the cans were good to go. 



I'm so excited to make some corn for dinner next week. LOVE corn season!

1 comment:

  1. I love hot chicken sandwiches. I found a good recipe a few years ago and it is my go to when I host a large event. It is also good to freeze since it makes a lot. You use one large can of Sweet Sue's canned chicken. Mix in one package of stove top stuffing, one sleeve of ritz crackers and 2 cans of chicken soup. Put in the crockpot and cook for about 4 hours. If it is runny, you can add some more crackers. I always get rave reviews when I make this and it is so good!

    ReplyDelete